I actually did this a little while ago. I added it to the list as we had an enormous bag of damsons and I didn’t want to waste them. So I made the jam.. now, nobody told me about the stones in damsons. Don’t get me wrong, I know that damsons have stones, I mean I don’t know that much about damsons but I do know that they are basically little plums [or as Wikipedia says they are ‘an edible drupaceous fruit, a subspecies of the plum tree’] so I did expect stones. What I didn’t expect was how many there would be!
Ok, so there is one stone per damson and damsons are smaller than plums and there were indeed a lot of them (nearly 1.5kg!) but I’m sure those pesky stones kept reproducing. I stood for so long pouring over the pot of boiling fruit and sugar picking out stone after stone I thought it would never end!
At first it was fun, picking out the stones feeling like I was the saviour of teeth but that novelty soon wore off. It was replaced by a stubbornness to complete a job now started and it certainly tested my patience. I scooped stone after stone, then when it looked like there were no more to scoop I gave it a good stir and more stones rose to the surface. I repeated this dozens of times until at last I felt confident to say I’d done my best. The recipe had made it sound much easier than it was!
Having taken so long to remove all the stones, not much more simmering was needed and the jam was soon ready to put into jars. I can now say that I have made damson jam but I’m in no hurry to do so again. I have made other jams, including a rather tasty rhubarb and vanilla and a ‘what’s left in the freezer that needs using as there’s no room for the chilli’ jam. In reality that was mainly strawberry but there were other berries in there too and very tasty it was and most importantly not a stone in sight!